Tuesday, March 3, 2009

An Irish Blessing


Once upon a time, many years ago, instead of designing with paper, my creative medium was wood & paint. Cutting and painting wood in fun & whimsical shapes was all the rage! My decorative painting moniker was ‘Love Me Knots’ which included 4 books and oodles of pattern packets and pin kits.

Oddly, I do not have any of my wood creations displayed, they are all in storage. Recently, I went through them and found one I decided to hang in my home, just one piece to remind me of all those years of hard work.

I pass by my “Irish Blessing” plaque every day on my way out of the house to perform my many chauffeuring duties. One day I took it off the wall and brought it into my craft room. Cricut (die-cutting system) had a new cartridge, called ‘Wild Card’ that had a house shaped card and I thought it would be fun to try and transform my plaque into a card.

After a lot of experimentation I turned to one my favorite tools, Photoshop!



I scanned my plaque in, isolated the angel and clovers, changed the hue (to update the colors somewhat), added new text and created an easy digital element that I could print off. I stitched the sentiment to the die-cut house card and added a roof.



I had so much fun with it, I couldn’t stop. I created a super easy bookmark (you can print 8 of these per one 8 ½” x 11” sheet) and then used the just the clover to create a circle element for my “Green for a Day” card.



I’m not Irish, but I will celebrate anything that wishes me luck and blesses me with good neighbors (which I have by the way!).

If you do too, please feel free to
download these digital elements to create your own Irish paper creations! If you come up with something new, I would love to see them. Please email me with them so I can share them with everyone!



5 comments:

kwgirl said...

Very cool idea to convert an idea you had from painting to paper. Now I just need to learn how to use Photoshop!
Loved the screenshot by the way.
PS: I still have all of your painting books...they still look great after all these years!

Anonymous said...

Cute project! Wish I did digital!

shortandsweet said...

I love these!

Linda Beeson said...

Clever! I did tole painting before rubber stamping!!! I loved when I discovered rubber stamping and it was so much faster to create my project!!! Your design here is just adorable.

mspiggy7 said...

Great projects!

Q's Creative Card Classes's Fan Box

Contact Me

Favorite Quote

"The art of being
HAPPY lies in the
POWER of extracting
happiness from
COMMON things."
~Henry Ward Beecher

Subjects

 

Q's Creative Card Making Kits | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

01 09 10