Friday, July 23, 2010

Zucchini Cheese Quiche

I started this blog almost 2 years ago and my very first post was about zucchinis? Well, it IS that time of the year and if you grow zucchinis you know what I'm talking about...so I decided to repost it!

These unpredicatable vegetables (actually, really a fruit) are tiny, little thumb-sized fruits one day and the next, you could hollow it out and float in it.

Whether you grow them or have them dropped at your doorstep anonymously, they are delicious and I'm sure, like me, you're always on the look-out for new recipes.

Today I'm sharing my all-time FAVORITE zucchini recipe that I've been making for 20 years; Zucchini cheese quiche. Makes a lovely light summer-time dinner (just add a side salad) and is even better the next day for lunch.
Two 8” zucchini cheese quiches

Two 8” frozen pie crusts…or if you have time, make one!
6 small zucchini (or a large pan full of sliced zucchini...remember it will reduce in size as it cooks)
1 C. Chopped onion
3-4 cloves of Garlic, chopped
*Saute garlic and onion in olive oil and/or butter. After a few minutes, add sliced zucchini. While this is cooking down (cook until zucchini is a nice bright green color) mix in a bowl:

4 eggs, beaten lightly
8 oz. Gruyere cheese (or your favorite swiss), shredded. You can use more if you like it more cheesy.
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. Fresh oregano (Thyme works well in this too) or 1 Tbsp dried herbs
Freshly ground pepper and Kosher salt (to taste)

Allow zucchini mixture to cool down and then mix with cheese/egg mixture. Cook at 375 F. for about 30 minutes or until top is golden.

Notice the bright green color? Take it off the heat and let cool.

If you like a zestier, warmer quiche, add 1 tsp red pepper flakes and/or a few grinds of my new favorite spice, Grains of Paradise.

How did I get those slices to thin? One of my top 3 kitchen gadgets...my mandolin!

Would love to hear what your favorite Zucchini Recipe is!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This one almost makes me want to cook! But I know who will love this one, my son! Going to send him the link!

Big hugs to you!

Jayna said...

My favorite is zucchini bread.

Heather Vincent said...

I think I just found dinner! This looks and sounds divine!

My husbands favorite zucchini meal is cooked in a dutch oven.

2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 large onion diced

Combine all those in the bottom of the dutch oven, cook until onion is clear.

6 zucchini sliced
6 crook-neck squash sliced
2 small potatoes diced

Combine the zucchini, squash & potatoes in the dutch oven, along with 1/8 cup of chicken stock.

Season to taste. My favorite seasonings are onion salt, garlic salt, McCormick's Seasoned Salt, a little chili powder, pepper, fresh parsley and fresh oregano.

You cook it until it all comes together. Sometimes, we do it individually in tin-foil dinners (minus the chicken stock), with either a hamburger, steak or boneless skinless chicken breast.

VERY VERY GOOD!!!! Let me know if you try it and what you think of it!

jknapp00 said...

We tried this recently and it was easy and fabulous! http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/goat-cheese-and-zucchini-frittata-with-butter-lettuce-salad-recipe.htm
It is a John Besh recipe and, really, I have a new obsession.

jknapp00 said...

We tried this recently and it was easy and fabulous! http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/goat-cheese-and-zucchini-frittata-with-butter-lettuce-salad-recipe.htm
It is a John Besh recipe and, really, I have a new obsession.

Debbie Gardner said...

The only thing I ever do with zuccini is bread, but htis looks YUMMY!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog today, I'm falling in love with yours! This quiche looks divine and I am drooling over the gorgeous wedding invite photos!

Q's Creative Card Classes's Fan Box

Contact Me

Favorite Quote

"The art of being
HAPPY lies in the
POWER of extracting
happiness from
COMMON things."
~Henry Ward Beecher

Subjects

 

Q's Creative Card Making Kits | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

01 09 10