Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Zucchini Cheese Quiche

I can't believe my first 'real' post will be about zucchini, but it's what's happening here in the Neal Household tonight.

If you have a garden, you probably plant zucchini and if you've planted zucchini you probably know how unpredictable they can be. One day they are tiny, little thumb-sized fruits and the next day you could hollow it out and float in it. This year, I've really been trying to keep in touch with my plant, catching the fruit when it's that perfect 1 1/2" circumference.

Didn't quite make it today, as you'll see, but close enough for my all-time FAVORITE zucchini recipe that I've been making for 20 years. Zucchini cheese quiche. Nothing fancy, but really delish, everyone in the fam loves it, it's great as a leftover and the best part is it uses all that zucchini in the garden.

So, here ya go...my first recipe for the blog.

Two 8” zucchini cheese quiches

Two 8” frozen pie crusts…or if you have time, make one!
6 small zucchini (or a large pan full of sliced zucchini...remember it will reduce in size as it cooks)
1 C. Chopped onion
3-4 cloves of Garlic, chopped
*Saute garlic and onion in olive oil and/or butter. After a few minutes, add sliced zucchini. While this is cooking down (cook until zucchini is a nice bright green color) mix in a bowl:

4 eggs, beaten lightly
8 oz. Gruyere cheese (or your favorite swiss), shredded. You can use more if you like it more cheesy.
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. Fresh oregano (Thyme works well in this too) or 1 Tbsp dried herbs
Freshly ground pepper and Kosher salt (to taste)

Allow zucchini mixture to cool down and then mix with cheese/egg mixture. Cook at 375 F. for about 30 minutes or until top is golden.

My little additions to make a little zestier, warmer quiche: Add 1 tsp red pepper flakes and a few grinds of my new favorite spice, Grains of Paradise.

Notice the bright green color? Take it off the heat and let cool.

How did I get those slices to thin? One of my top 3 kitchen gadgets...my mandolin!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

No comments yet on your lovely blog? The quiche looks yummy! I think I may have to try it. My girlfriend and I attended CKC in Charlotte this weekend (for the third year in a row). Last year we participated in the card swap and this year we took two of your classes. We were so happy to see that you were teaching our classes! We both subscribe to Papercrafts mag and love your style. It's good to see you online and I promise we'll follow you here. :)

-Jennifer Davis

Q's Creative Card Classes's Fan Box

Contact Me

Favorite Quote

"The art of being
HAPPY lies in the
POWER of extracting
happiness from
COMMON things."
~Henry Ward Beecher

Subjects

 

Q's Creative Card Making Kits | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

01 09 10